- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked sushi rice or other short-grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons miso (soybean paste)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand.
- Bring 2 cups water and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in miso, soy sauce, and sugar. Add mushrooms, ginger, and garlic; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in carrot and onions; cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk egg whites and egg in a small bowl. Gently pour egg mixture into broth mixture (do not stir); cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; gently stir.
- Spoon 1 cup of rice into each of 6 large soup bowls. Ladle 1 cup of the broth mixture evenly over rice.
- Note: Sushi rice, a sticky rice that’s available in many large supermarkets, holds together well when topped with vegetables and broth. But any rice will work in this dish.
(Visited 87 times, 1 visits today)