Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
- 1 Empire Kosher 8 Piece Cut Up Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Empire Kosher Rendered Chicken Fat
- Salt, pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice (all natural unsweetened cranberry juice is also good)
- ¼ cup low salt Kosher chicken broth
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced into ½” pieces
- ¼ cup honey
- Pat chicken pieces dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat rendered fat in a Dutch oven or large 12” skillet on medium high heat until smoking.
- Add 4 chicken pieces to the skillet and brown on both sides for 5 minutes
- Remove from skillet to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces of chicken.
- Leaving the juices in the pan, add the garlic and shallots, stirring and browning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the pomegranate juice and broth, stir, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and add apple pieces
- Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, until the volume is reduced by half.
- Add honey to the skillet and stir into sauce
- Place the browned chicken pieces in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate all 8 pieces
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through (160°F for white meat and 175°F for dark meat).
(Visited 172 times, 1 visits today)