- 1 kilo ube yam root
- 1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (12 ounces) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
- On a pot, boil the unpeeled ube yam in water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Peel and finely grate the ube yam.
- Heat a big wok in medium heat.
- Melt butter or margarine, add the condensed milk and vanilla flavoring.
- Mix well.
- Add the 1 kilo grated ube yam.
- Adjust the heat to low.
- Keep on mixing the ingredients for about 30 minutes or until sticky and a bit dry (but still moist).
- Add the evaporated milk and continue to mix for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool and place on a large platter.
- Refrigerate before serving the halayang ube.
You may spread additional butter or margarine on top of the jam before serving.
For the sweet toothed, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the jam after placing on the large platter.
Instead of manually grating the ube, you may cut it in cubes and use a blender to powderize the ube.