- 1/3 cup walnut halves or shelled pistachios
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- ¼ pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fine bulgur
- 1 tbsp. ground beef
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup boiled, mashed potato
- ½ of 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 small onion, grated
- Sunflower or other light oil for frying
- Begin by making the meat and nut filling. In a small frying pan, sautee the meat until just cooked. Add the onion and continue to stir until the onion softens. Add the ground nuts and spices and continue to sautee. When all the flavors have combined, remove the pan from the heat and let it rest.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bulgur, ground beef, egg, potato, grated onion and spices and knead together for several minutes to form a ‘dough.’
- Break of pieces of the dough about the size of walnuts and roll them into balls. With your index finger, push some of the meat and nut filling into the center of the dough and close the end. Shape the ‘meatballs’ to be narrower at the ends and thicker in the middle.
- Heat a generous amount of sunflower oil in a large skillet and fry the ‘meatballs’ evenly on all sides until dark golden-brown. Drain them in paper towels. Serve them piping hot. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
(Visited 244 times, 1 visits today)