Tokwa’t Baboy Recipe
- 1 lb pig’s ears
- 1 lb pork belly (liempo)
- 1 lb firm (or extra firm) tofu (approx. 4 slices)
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 stalks green onions, cut in 1/2 inch length
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Pour-in water in a pot and bring to a boil
- Add salt and whole pepper corn
- Put-in the pig’s ears and pork belly then simmer until tender (about 30 mins to 1 hour)
- Pour cooking oil on a separate pan and allow to heat
- When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the tofu until color turns golden brown and outer texture is somewhat crispy
- Cube the fried tofu and slice the boiled pig’s ears and pork belly into bite-sized pieces then set aside
- Heat the saucepan and pour-in the vinegar and soy sauce then bring to a boil
- Add the sugar and stir then turn-off the heat
- Allow the temperature to cool down then add the onions, green onions, and crushed red pepper. Transfer the sauce in a serving bowl.
- Place the sliced meat and tofu in a serving plate with the bowl of sauce by the side
- Serve hot! Share and Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Tofu
Tofu, which is made from soybean curds, is naturally gluten-free and low calorie; it contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of protein, iron, and calcium.
It is an important source of protein, especially for vegans, vegetarians, and those looking to move toward a more plant-based diet.To make tofu, soymilk is first coagulated which leads to the creation of curds. The resulting curds are then pressed and compacted into the gelatinous white blocks recognized as tofu.