Tokwa and Tuna Recipe
Tokwa and Tuna is an appetizer dish composed of fried extra firm tofu and grilled ahi tuna. A Filipino dish called Tokwa’t Baboy, which is made up of tofu and pork, was the inspiration for this dish. I thought that using ahi tuna will compliment the fried tofu – and it did.
I think that Tokwa and Tuna have some similarities with kinilaw or kilawin and sinuglaw; all these Filipino food favorites are all soaked in a vinegar mixture and all make a good appetizer or “pulutan”.
This dish is a good option for those of you who like the idea of a healthier and leaner tokwat baboy (without the pork though). You’ll get a good amount of the protein from the fish and tofu and you will worry less on having bad cholesterol or a possibility of getting high blood pressure after eating this dish.
Try this Tokwa and Tuna recipe. Let me know your what you think.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4
- 6 oz. ahi tuna
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 pieces long green chili, sliced
- ¾ cup apple cider or cane vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1½ cups cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl. Mix well. Microwave for 15 seconds. Set aside.
- Rub ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper on the ahi tuna. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Heat-up the grill. Grill the tuna for 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the tuna from the grill. Slice into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the tofu (two pieces at a time) until the color turns golden brown.
- Remove the tofu from the cooking pot. Let the excess oil drip. Slice the tofu into cubes. Set aside.
- Combine the tuna, tofu, onion, and green pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss.
- Pour-in the vinegar mixture. Gently toss until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Transfer to a serving plate or bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Want to start your own blog?
We can help. Click this link to view the tutorial on How to Start a Blog . If you have questions, I am here to help. Send me a message using the contact page.
Recommended for you