Total Time: 25 Minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3-in. pieces and crushed with a mallet or hammer
- 1 can (about 14 oz.) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste*
- 2 tablespoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and beards* pulled off
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, plus slivered leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Sauté shallot and garlic in oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemongrass and cook 1 to 2 more minutes. Pour in coconut milk, then stir in curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels, stir until well coated, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, 5 minutes. Stir in chopped basil and spoon into wide, shallow bowls, discarding any unopened mussels.
- Garnish with slivered basil and serve with lime.
(Visited 46 times, 1 visits today)