Greek Dinner Salad
Servings: 6 (serving size: 2 cups salad and 8 pita wedges)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 3 cups diced tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, each cut into 8 wedges
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add lettuce and the next 6 ingredients (lettuce through chickpeas); toss well.
- Serve with pita wedges
- 6 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 tablespoons (about 1 1/2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add green bell pepper to pan; sauté 1 minute.
- Add garlic and tomatoes; cook 1 minute.
- Add black pepper and shrimp; cover and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Stir in red pepper; remove from heat.
- Place 1 cup pasta on each of 4 plates.
- Top each serving with 1 cup shrimp mixture and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
Servings: 4 (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups sliced roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine feta cheese, yogurt, dill, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and oregano to pan, and sauté for 20 seconds.
- Add chicken, and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each pita half, and top with 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture, 2 tablespoons shredded lettuce, 1 tablespoon cucumber, and 1 tablespoon tomato.
- Divide onion evenly among pitas. Enjoy