Preparation: 4 Hours
Cooking: 1 Hour
- 4 cup(s) rice washed and dried
- 2 cup(s) Bengal gram, split (chana dal)
- 1 cup(s) black gram , split (udad dal)
- 1/2 cup(s) Moong dal
- 1 cup(s) Thick poha
- 1/2 cup(s) cumin seeds or less than Â½ cup if it is strong (Jeera)
- 1 large turmeric root (halkund)
- 4 cup(s) bhajani
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) oil
- 1/4 cup(s) white SESAME SEEDs
- red chili powder
- salt as required
- asafoetida for taste
- 2 tablespoon(s) ajwain (ova)
- coriander seeds powder to taste (dhane pood)
- Roast all these grains separately in pan on medium flame or in microwave till it gets crispy and turned into pinkish red color.
- Allow all of the grains to cool and then mix
- Now break the turmeric root into small pieces and mix in the above grains.
- Now get the all grains grinded from flour mill or use a good grinder to grind them into a very fine powder.
Chakali Preparation steps:
- Take 4 cups of water in a deep pan and start heating.
- Add ½ cup of oil , red chilly powder, salt, asafoetida, ajwain, sesame seeds, coriander seeds powder into water.
- Boil it on high flame.
- Once the mixture is boiled , turn off the stove.
- Now add 4 cups of bhajani into that boiled water.
- Mix Bhajani well to make a soft pliable dough.(Less soft than chapatti dough)
- Allow it to settle and cool for 2-3 hours.
- Once cooled , again with warm hands mix it well to make a dough ready for preparing chakalis
- Now take deep pan with enough oil in it, so that 4-5 medium size chakalis can be fried at a time.
- Heat the oil on high flame, and once the oil is sufficient hot turn the flame to medium.
- Prepare chakalis on plastic paper or butter papers using chakali mold.
- While adding chakalis to pan for frying , make the flame high and once added we can turn into medium flame and fry chakalis till it gets nice colour and when it stops bubbling with oil stable in pan, we can remove them.
- Allow them to cool properly and then store in air tight container. Mostly Aluminum containers are good for it.