Sweet and Sour Pompano is a simple fish dish that you can serve for lunch. This recipe involves pompano, a type of fish known for its white meat and delicious taste. This quick and easy recipe has been tried and tested multiple times. I find it convenient to have a cup or two of sweet and sour sauce in the fridge ready, just in case I make an impulsive decision to make dishes such as this (I usually have a weekly meal plan, but that is not followed 100% for many reasons).
The sweet and sour sauce is a separate recipe that you can view on the recipe section below. There is a a link leading to the recipe. The fish, on the other hand, is a simple fried fish recipe. I just made some incisions on the fish so that it can absorb the salt and cook faster. I think that it also gave the fish a classy look.
This dish is best with warm white rice. You can also have it with fried rice. The good thing about the sweet and sour sauce is the idea that you can use it almost in any fried dishes. You can fry pork or chicken and pour the sauce over to make it taste great. A good example would be our Sweet and Sour Chicken Nuggets.
Try this Sweet and Sour Pompano Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 1 large pompano, innards and gills removed
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1½ cups cooking oil
- 1½ to2 cups sweet and sour sauce (use half the amount of this sweet and sour sauce recipe)
- Wash the fish thoroughly in running water. Let the liquid drip.
- Make incisions on both sides of the fish. This will let the fish absorb the seasonings and will help it cook quicker.
- Rub the salt all over the fish. You can add more salt to rub in the cavity of the fish. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil in a wide frying pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, carefully lay the fish on the frying pan. Watch out for splattering oil. Fry for 8 to 10 minutes in medium heat or until the fish turns golden brown. Turn the fish over to fry the other side. Cook the opposite side for 8 minutes. If you want to prevent the oil from splattering, try this fried pompano recipe.
- Remove the fried fish from the frying pan and arrange in a serving plate.
- Top the fish with sweet and sour sauce.
- Serve with warm rice. Share and enjoy!