Total Time: 2 hours
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature and separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 7 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, 6 small ones left whole and the rest sliced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12- by 17-in. rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a mixer on medium speed, beat egg yolks, 1 tsp. vanilla, the salt, and 2/3 cup sugar until thick and pale yellow, 3 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters on high speed until soft peaks form, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Slowly rain in 1/3 cup sugar, beating until medium-stiff peaks form, 2 minutes.
- Fold flour into yolk mixture just until incorporated. Fold in one-quarter of egg whites to lighten batter. Then gently fold in remaining egg whites just until no streaks remain. Spread evenly in prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cake until it’s very pale golden and slowly springs back when gently pressed in center, about 12 minutes. Loosen edge of hot cake with a thin knife, then invert cake onto a clean, smooth-textured kitchen towel laid on a flat surface. Remove parchment and let cake sit until just cool, 30 minutes.
- Mix sliced berries with 4 tbsp. sugar in a bowl and set aside. With mixer, beat cream with remaining 3 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla until medium stiff.
- Spread cake evenly with two-thirds of the whipped cream, then arrange sliced strawberries on top. Starting with a short side, roll cake up and set on a serving dish, seam side down. Frost with remaining cream and garnish with whole berries.
(Visited 92 times, 1 visits today)