Spinach Lasagne is a delicious pasta dish that I enjoy. I mean, who wouldn’t enjoy a rich and tasty pasta dish that is served warm with melted cheeses and white sauce? Every bite will surely put a smile in your face.
This spinach lasagne recipe is simple to prepare. If this is just your first time to try making lasagne (or lasagna), you should not be intimidated. Think of this as a 3 step process: 1 – make the meat sauce, 2 – make the white sauce (also called mornay sauce), 3 – assemble the lasagne and bake. This is very simple and straightforward. If you still have some questions of hesitations, the comment box is below this post. Post a question and I will do my best to reply on a timely manner.
Just so you know, the meat sauce for this dish is nothing fancy. It can also be used if you want to make spaghetti or macaroni dishes. The mornay sauce, on the other hand, was derived from our yummy baked macaroni recipe. If you have done that before, I am sure that it will look familiar to you.
I used canned spinach for this recipe. However, you can also use fresh spinach (or baby spinach) – use as many spinach as you want.
Try this Spinach Lasagne Recipe. Enjoy!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 1 (9 oz.) box, oven ready lasagne
- 1½ lb. ground beef
- 3 oz. (1/2 can) tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can, chopped spinach
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ to 2 cups fresh milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the meat sauce by heating the oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, saute the onion until it turns soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it browns.
- Pour-in the diced tomatoes. Let boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. set the meat sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mornay sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan.
- Once the butter melts, gradually add the flour. Stir and cook in low to medium heat until the flour absorbs the butter (around 2 minutes).
- Pour the milk in the sauce pan. Stir to dilute the flour and butter.
- Add Parmesan cheese. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- At this point, we have the meat sauce and mornay sauce ready. Assemble the lasagne by arranging the lasagne pieces in a baking pan. Line the oven-ready lasagne at the bottom of the pan. Top the first layer with ⅓ of the meat sauce. Top the meat sauce with spinach. Pour a quarter (1/4) of the mornay sauce over the spinach and spread until the entire pan is covered. Do this step 2 times more so that you will have 3 layers in the pan.
- Top the last layer with lasagne pieces then pour and spread the remaining mornay sauce on top. Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Recommended for you
Via: Spinach Lasagne