- 2 pounds beef shank
- 2 pounds oxtail
- 2 pounds pork hocks
- 1 pound Huế style pork sausage (chả Huế, which has garlic and whole peppercorns)
- 1 pound block of pork blood
Broth base & Seasoning
- 8 qt pot. add meat, water to fill qt pot to the rim
- 2 12-ounce cans chicken broth
- 10-12 stalks lemongrass. Remove the leafy tops, smash the roots (~1lb)
- 2 large onions, halved. For sweetness, not eating–remove from the broth after it’s fully cooked.
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (Lee Kum Kee brand)
- 3-4 tablespoons fishsauce
- 2 teaspoons MSG (if you’re not using oxtail, use 4 teaspoons here)
Aromatics & Color
- 3 tablespoons anatto seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons shallot (takes longer to brown), optional
- 2 tablespoons garlic
Herbs & Veg
- bean sprouts
- birds eye chile or jalapeno
- banana flower
- 2 cups water
- juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 package dried rice noodle, medium or large thickness
- Clean the meat: Add all meat to a stock pot and enough water to submerge it, bring to a boil. Drain and rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Add the meat, broth, lemongrass and onions to the pot and fill with water almost to the brim. Bring to a boil then drop the heat to medium-high to maintain a low boil. Add the seasoning.
- Let it simmer and periodically check the meats for doneness and remove them as they finish cooking. The pork should be done after about an hour, the beef can vary between 2-3 hours.
- After all the meat has removed, let it cool, then slice it. Adjust seasoning and add water to the broth pot if necessary.
- Make the aromatics & coloring then add it to the pot.
- Boil noodles according to package instructions.
- Assemble your bowl, and serve with herbs and veg on a side platter.
Red Coloring & Aromatics
- Sauté seeds in oil on medium heat until the seeds give up the bright red color, then remove the seeds.
- Add shallots and garlic, sauté until brown.
- Add all of this to the pot of broth for color.
Pork Blood (Huyet / Tiet)
- The easiest thing to do is just buy it already cooked and boil just to heat it up. If you use the raw type like we did for this recipe, cut into 1″ cubes and boil for 30-45 minutes
- Prepare a bowl of about 2 cups of water, mixed with the juice of 1 lemon.
- Thinly slice the banana flower and add to the water mixture to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Avoid adding little fronds (that look like mini bananas), removing them as you encounter them. They taste bitter!
Source: Hungry Huy
(Visited 46 times, 1 visits today)