- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g lean beef mince
- 200g button mushrooms, stems trimmed, thinly sliced
- 160ml (2/3 cup) dry red wine
- 1 x 800g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 400g dried spaghetti
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until the onion softens slightly.
- Increase heat to high and add the beef mince to the pan. Cook, uncovered, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the lumps, for 4-5 minutes or until well browned. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until they soften slightly. Add the wine to the beef mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir the tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves and oregano into the beef mixture. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens to a good sauce consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, following packet directions, or until al dente. Drain well.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Divide the spaghetti amongst serving bowls and spoon the sauce over. Top with the parmesan shavings and serve immediately.
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)