- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 200g extra lean ground beef (roughtly ½ lb)
- 1 24oz jar passata *
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- handful of basil leaves, torn
- 1-2 tsp sugar, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pasta of your choice
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until almost translucent – 1 minute. Add the garlic and swirl around with the onion for about 15 seconds – careful not to burn it. Add the ground beef and brown it, pressing with a wooden spoon to break it apart and incorporate with the onion and garlic.
- Pour in the passata, stirring immediately (it may bubble and splatter on impact). Add the basil leaves and grated carrot. Decrease the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. When done, do a taste test and add sugar, salt, and pepper, as needed.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with basil leaves and grated Parmesan cheese.
- * some passata brands can me on the thick side – thin out with a splash of chicken stock, or water to desired consistency. Don’t add too much, as it will be watery.
Source: Canuck Cuisine
(Visited 42 times, 1 visits today)