- 1 whole head of green cabbage
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 cup of onion, diced
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- additional salt for boiling cabbage
- Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Generously season with salt. Once boiling, carefully add in the whole head of cabbage, and cook for about 4 minutes. The goal here is to soften the leaves, leaving them tender for rolling.
- Carefully remove the head of cabbage and remove 6 of the outer, larger leaves. Set aside, and then return the cabbage back to the salted boiling water, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove again, and set the cabbage aside.
- Next, make your meat mixture. To a mixing bowl, add the ground chuck, salt, pepper, onions, garlic powder, egg, rice, and worchestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Now it is time to roll the cabbage rolls. Take one of the reserved cabbage leaves and lay it on your work surface.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture into the center of the cabbage leaf. Now it’s going to be like rolling a burrito or egg roll.
- Fold over the meat mixture, fold in the sides, and continue to roll. Place seam side down onto a place. Repeat with remaining leaves and meat mixture.
- Take the remaining cabbage leaves, about 10 or so, and place onto the bottom of your slow cooker. This helps to prevent the cabbage rolls from burning.
- Arrange your cabbage rolls in the bottom of the slow cooker, pour over the tomato sauce, place the cover on, and cook for 6-7 hours. This is a perfect way to cook while you head to work.
- Serve each cabbage roll on a plate and spoon over any additional tomato sauce.
Source:Simple Comfort Food
(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)