Sinigang na Lapu lapu sa miso is a Filipino sinigang version that makes use of grouper fish. Just like any other sinigang dishes, this is simple and easy to cook. The outcome is a great tasting dish that will test your self control in terms of having more rice than your usual consumption.
I made this dish using the traditional way of cooking sinigang sa sampaloc. This requires unripe tamarind to be boiled for a long time until all the juices from it are extracted. Manually squeezing the juice out of the boiled tamarind also helps.
We also have a similar dish that makes use of kamias or bilimbi. It is called sinigang na isda sa kamias.
How to cook Sinigang na Lapu lapu sa Miso
As I’ve mentioned, this dish is cooked using the traditional way. Prepare the tamarind by boiling water in a pot. Put the tamarind in boiling water and boil until it becomes soft. This can take between 30 to 50 minutes. Extract all the juices from the tamarind and filter using a sieve.
Boil the liquid in a clean pot and add the onion, tomato, and miso. You will have to cook these until the onion and tomato gets really soft. Add the fish along with the radish, okra, and peppers. Cook until the fish is done. Season with some fish sauce and then add the mustard leaves last.
This is best served hot along with a cup of white rice.
Try this Sinigang na Lapu lapu sa miso recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. grouper (lapu lapu), cleaned and sliced
- a bunch of mustard leaves
- 10 pieces okra
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ¾ cup daikon radish, sliced (optional)
- 3 large tomato, wedged
- 4 long green peppers
- ¼ cup miso paste
- 12 pieces unripe tamarind
- 6 cups water
- Boil water in a cooking pot. Add the tamarind.Cover and continue to boil in medium heat for 40 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Using a sieve, strain the boiled tamarind towards a clean cooking pot.
- Boil the liquid and then add tomato, onion and miso. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish, daikon radish, okra, and peppers. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes in low to medium heat.
- Pour-in the fish sauce. Stir.
- Add the mustard leaves.Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!