Apples may reduce the risk of colon cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer.
- 1 pork shoulder, seasoned and tied with butchers twine (1 kg)
- 6 granny smith apple
- 100g butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp thyme picked and roughly chopped
- ¼ cabbage, cut into rough 3cm dice
- 2 medium carrots cut into 2cm dice
- 1 stick celery cut into 2cm dice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- In an ovenproof dish or tray, heat over a medium flame; add butter and garlic onion and thyme, and bay, sweat for 2 – 3 min.
- Add onion, celery and carrot, clove and cinnamon and sweat for 3 – 4 min.
- Add the liquid, and the pork shoulder skin side up.
- Cover with a lid or foil and place in an oven at 150°c for 1½ hours. When the pork is cooked, the meat will come away easily with a fork.
- Turn the heat up to 200°c and crisp the skin 20 – 30 min.
- Add a little water if the liquid evaporates. Rest for 20 min before removing from pot, carving and serving.
- Add the chopped parsley to the juices and vegetables and spoon over the cooked meat.
- Serve with buttered new potatoes, crusty bread or rice.
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)