Spicy fresh ginger complements the sweet roasted winter squash and shallots in this easy recipe. Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich for a simple supper.
Servings: 6 (serving size: 2/3 cup soup and 1 teaspoon chives)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.