- 1 kilo pork belly, cut into serving sized cubes
- 4 T cooking oil
- 8 T garlic, minced (or more, if preferred)
- 4 T sugar
- 4 T cracked peppercorn
- 1 and 1/2 C soy sauce
- 2 cans Beer
- 1 C water, optional (my kids prefer lots of sauce)
- 200 gms golden mushrooms
- 200 gms straw mushrooms, sliced
- 4 pcs large dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water, then chopped
- Salt and sugar to taste
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in a wok or a cooking pan. Add in the sugar, cook at low heat. Wait for the sugar to caramelize.
- Add in the meat cubes and stir the meat, so that the cubes will be evenly coated and browned with the caramelized sugar. Add in the soy sauce, peppercorns, garlic. Stir to mix evenly.
- When the mixture boils, add in the 2 cans of beer. Do not stir until the mixture boils again. Accordingly, if you stir, the sauce will have a bitter aftertaste. But I have always followed this instruction so I cannot confirm if this is true or not. :)
- When the mixture boils, add in shiitake mushrooms and the cup of water. Let boil again and simmer for an hour and a half to two hours. Check in once in a while to see if the sauce is drying up. My kids like their adobo saucy, so I add in lots of water. (Alternately, start in the morning and just drop the contents of this pot in the slow cooker and you will have a wonderful smelling dish come dinner time).
- Add in the straw mushrooms and golden mushroms before serving, and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust taste with saklt and sugar, depending o your preference. Isn’t this dish versatile?
- Garnish with spring onions or cilantro before serving. Serve hot with rice.
Source: Heart And Hearth
(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)