For the filling
- 1/2 kg. Ground pork
- 1 Egg
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- 15 pcs. Taro leaves (gabi leaves) whole and slightly dried
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp. Shrimp Paste (bagoong)
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size Ginger, cut in strips
- 4 cups coconut milk (2nd squeeze)
- 2 cups coconut cream (1st squeeze)
- 8 pcs. Long Green Peppers (sili pang-sigang)
- 3 pcs Thai bird chili (siling labuyo), sliced
- Mix together the ground pork, egg, onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Wrap them in taro leaves (wrap just like making spring rolls or lumpia). Set aside.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, ginger and shrimp paste.
- Turn the heat down and nestle the wrapped pork in pan.
- Add coconut milk and long green chili peppers.
- Let it simmer until the milk is reduced to half and thickens.
- Add the Thai bird chili (sili labuyo).
- Add the coconut cream and boil to thicken the sauce.
It is important to sun dry fresh taro leaves to remove the ‘kati’ or some toxicity to it.
Use pure coconut milk.
(Visited 977 times, 1 visits today)