Pork Ginataan with Squash and String Beans is a rich and delicious Filipino dish that makes use of pork, coconut milk, and vegetables such as squash and string beans. This recipe has many variations. You can do this with other types of meat and even with seafood such as crab. In fact, Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa with Crab is one version that I enjoy eating.
I love this dish because it is very tasty and delicious. The only thing that bothers me is the certainty that I will always overeat when this dish is served because it’s richness and flavor do not deserve just a cup of rice — maybe 2 or just a little bit over it.
There are many ways to cook Pork Ginataan with Squash and String Beans. I used shrimp paste or bagoong as the main source of flavor. Fish sauce or even salt can be used as alternatives. You will notice that I always use butternut squash these days. Well, the family learned to love this squash variety because it tastes simply delish, and the kids love it too. In addition, it is healthy and has a lot of benefits. Here are some of the benefits of butternut squash.
Try this Pork Ginataang with Squash and String Beans Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1½ lbs. pork, cubed
- 1½ cup beef broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed
- 1 small bundle of string beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil gets hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the ground black pepper. Stir and then add the pork. Cook the pork until the color turns light brown.
- Pour the beef broth in the cooking pot. Let it boil.
- Add the coconut milk. Stir and allow to boil once more. Cover and cook in low to medium heat until the pork gets tender.
- Add the squash. Stir, cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp paste. Stir.
- Add the string beans. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt only if needed.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: