- 3 pound boneless pork butt (you can also use a bone-in pork butt but it will be more like 6 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ orange, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 lime, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup bacon fat
- 1 cup lard
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Place pork pieces in a 9X13-inch pan.
- Scatter onion, orange, lime, and garlic over pork.
- Sprinkle seasonings on top.
- Drizzle with bacon fat.
- Use a large spoon to stir the pork around and get the seasonings distributed.
- Using a spoon, drop spoonfuls of lard evenly on top of pork.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook 5 hours. (Place pan on baking sheet in case any liquid leaks over.)
- Use a slotted spoon to remove meat and place on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Place under broiler for 5 minutes or until crispy.
Source: Spicy Southern Kitchen
Via: Pork Carnitas Recipe
(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)