- 1 kilo pork belly (liempo), cubed
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white onion, minced
- 5 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- (Vegan? Use Vegetarian Bagoong)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 eggplants, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Place cubed liempo in a stockpot. Cover with water and let boil for at least 15 minutes. Prepare the rest of the ingredients while meat is cooking.
- Pour corn oil into a hot pan. Sauté garlic and onions until softened. Add tomatoes and cook until softened too. Stir-fry bagoong until aromatic then put in boiled pork pieces and 1/2 cup of the boiling water used to cook the pork. Simmer until pork softens, then add vinegar and sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more pork broth if necessary.
- When pork is fork-tender, add sliced eggplants and coconut cream. Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture thickens and eggplants are soft, about 10 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.
(Visited 1,181 times, 1 visits today)