Pork and Kangkong Guisado is a simple dish that you can serve during ordinary days. I like this because it is delicious, easy to prepare, and budget friendly. I enjoy eating this dish with a cup of white rice — oh, I mean 2 cups.
I used pork shoulders because it contains some fat that can be extracted during the cooking process. I sprayed the wok with some cooking oil spray to grease it and make sure that the meat won’t stick on it. You can also use a tablespoon of cooking oil if you do not have cooking oil spray. Simply swirl the wok to distribute the oil over it while heating it up.
The pork needs to go first. Once the oil is hot, gently add the pork and brown one side. Turn it over to brown the opposite side. During this process, the fat from the pork gets extracted and turns into oil. We will used this extra oil to cook the garlic an onion.
The kangkong was segregated into 2 parts: the stalk and leaves (I used Chinese kangkong or Ongchoy for this recipe). Simply prepare it by manually segregating the leaves and stalk. Chop the stalk into short pieces. The stalks go first in the cooking process, while the leaves are added towards the end.
Soy sauce was the only seasoning that I added, but it will help if you use beef broth (instead of water) for extra flavor.
Try this Pork and Kangkong Guisado Recipe. Let me know what your think.
- ¼ lb. pork, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 bunch water spinach (kangkong), leaves separated from the stalk and stalk chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, add the pork Cook until both sides of the pork are brown. Also make sure that oil is extracted out of the pork.
- Add garlic. Stir and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add onion, stir and cook until the onion gets soft.
- Stir-in the chopped kangkong stalk. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in soy sauce. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the kangkong leaves. Cover the wok or pan for 1 minute.
- Remove the cover, stir. Add the beef broth. Let boil. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!