Pandan chicken, is a dish with chicken wrapped in pandan leaves and baked.The leaves are also used as a flavoring for desserts such as Pandan cake and sweet beverages.
The secret to a flavorful chicken or meat dish is the marinade. It is important that you let the chicken absorb all the flavors before starting to cook. I usually marinate the chicken overnight to infuse all the flavors.
- 6 pieces chicken wings, small chicken drumsticks, or sliced boneless chicken breasts
- 6 to 8 pieces fresh or fresh frozen Pandan leaves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon or calamansi juice
- 2 cups cooking oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, ground black pepper, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Mix well. Put-in the chicken pieces in the bowl with the mixture and marinade for at least 3 hours. I always marinade meat overnight to absorb the flavors better. When marinating overnight, make sure to cover the bowl and refrigerate it to avoid contamination.
- Wrap the chicken with Pandan leaves. This is done by taking a long leaf and start wrapping about 3 inches down the leaf until the chicken piece is covered. Wrap back from where you started and tie one end of the leaf to the other end until a knot is formed.
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, deep fry the chicken until the color turns golden brown. You may also grill the chicken instead of frying it.
- Turn-off heat and transfer the chicken to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!