Pininyahang Manok (Tagalog), or Chicken with Pineapple is a dish made out of chicken that is marinated in pineapple juice then cooked together with pineapple and other vegetables such as capsicums, carrots and onions. In the Philippines there are 3 main variations of this dish and they vary on the sauce used, one is using chicken stock as a base, another variation is using coconut milk and the last one is using evaporated milk.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and quartered (can be smaller)
- 2 medium size carrots peeled cut into 1″ size
- 1 red bell pepper cut into approx 1 square inch
- 2 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- dash of pepper
- 2 tbsp pickles
- 1 can (500g) pineapple chunks in syrup
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk (or fresh milk, but better results with evap) Coconut milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Heat a medium dutch oven (or any pan you prefer). When it’s hot, put olive oil and heat it up. Saute garlic until golden brown, add the onion until it becomes transparent.
- Add the chicken and saute for about a minute, then add patis (add more depending on your taste). Mix then add pepper and pickles. Simmer then cover. Juices will start to come out.
- Wait until chicken is half cooked then add the pineapple chunks including the syrup.
- When chicken is cooked, add carrots and potatoes. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the bell pepper, then stir and bring back to a boil.
- Add the milk then the cheese until melted.
- Best served with rice. Enjoy!