- 900g or 8pcs chicken thigh, skinned, deboned and cut in half*
- 250g Spanish chorizo
- 16 pcs medium sized prawns, deveined, 8 with head, 8 without head
- 2 pcs medium sized cuttlefish, ink removed, cut into rings
- 16 pcs mussels
- 1 kg clams, steamed and shelled (20 pcs w half shell)*
- 15in Paella pan (also known as paellera), coated with olive oil
- Aluminum foil to cover the pan.
- 5 cups rice, washed
- 1.5ml or 10 cups of chicken stock*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large or 2 medium sized red onions, diced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, fire-roasted, seeded and cut into strips*
- 2 240g can of peeled whole tomatoes, seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne chili pepper
- 2 tsp saffron
- Freshly milled salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
The Chicken Stock:
- Boil the bone from the chicken thigh in 1.5L water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
The Red Bell Pepper:
- Roast the red bell pepper on the oven top on high heat. Remove the seeds then cut into strips. Set aside.
- Steam the clams in salted water until the shells open. Remove the meat from the shell but set aside 15-20 pieces of clams on half shell for garnish. Set aside.
- Note: If you’re using big clams, no need to steam separately. Add the clams the same time you add the mussels.
- The chicken and seafood must be lightly seasoned with freshly milled salt and pepper.
The Paella pan:
- Generously coat the paella or paellera with extra virgin olive oil, (even if the pan you are using is non-stick).
- Preheat the Oven to 200*C.
- Sauté the chicken in oil until half-cooked. You may season with salt and pepper while sautéing. Set aside.
- Sauté the onions and chorizo for 1 minute then add garlic, tomatoes, half of the roasted bell pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, saffron, salt and pepper. Pour in the wine, shimmy the pan and simmer for another minute.
- Add the rice, mix thoroughly until the rice is evenly coated. Add half of the broth, then stir to evenly coat the rice. Arrange the mussels on the side of the pan. If you’re using uncooked large clams, arranged it evenly and plant them on the rice to ensure that it cooks well. Add the remaining broth and bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 7-10 minutes, uncovered, shaking and turning the pan occasionally.
- Once the rice is nearly cooked, assemble the remaining ingredients on top: chicken, steamed clams, cuttlefish, prawns, the remaining roasted bell pepper and green peas. Cover with aluminum foil and simmer for 5 minutes in low heat, shaking and turning the pan occasionally.
- If the liquid has not completely dried after 5 minutes, put the pan into the oven and bake until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately.
Via: Paella Mixta Recipe
(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)