Oven Baked Crispy Pata
Author: Vanjo Merano
- 1 piece (3 to 4 lbs.) pig leg
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 12 pieces dried bay leaves
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil or cooking oil spray
- 8 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Meanwhile, arrange the pork leg in a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Coat the leg with cooking oil either by rubbing with cooking oil or using the cooking oil spray such as Pam.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the oven. Let it cool down.
- Arrange the pork (pig leg) in a wide cooking pot or Dutch oven. Pour-in water. Let boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the onion powder, garlic, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the cooking pot. Let the liquid drip while the meat cools down. Make incisions on the pig leg so that seasonings (such as salt and pepper) can easily penetrate and gets absorbed. It will also help the inner part of the leg cook faster.
- Arrange the pig leg on the same baking tray. rub salt and pepper all over the leg. Spray with cooking oil all over.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 150 to 180 minutes.
Serving size: 5