This basic method gives you both without any special pans or weird ingredients. Just rub the chicken with oil, salt, and pepper, add a few aromatics, roast for a few minutes on high heat, then finish on low.
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 1 whole dressed chicken
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery ribs
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 piece lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour 3/4 of the mixture in the chicken’s cavity, and rub the remaining on the outer part of the chicken. Place inside the fridge and marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine olive oil, remaining salt, remaining garlic powder, remaining pepper, and thyme.
- Separate the skin from the meat by gently sliding your fingers between the chicken’s skin and meat starting either from the neck or the opposite side. Rub half of olive oil mixture between the skin and meat of the chicken. Rub the other half on the outer part of the chicken.
- Arrange the celery ribs and onions in the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a roasting rack. Put inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and continue baking for another 15 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Note: If the chicken skin needs more browning, you may need to put your oven to roast and cook the chicken until the skin darkens.
- Remove from the oven and place in a serving plate.
- Serve with Potato and Green Bean Salad.
- Share and enjoy!