A lead line cook is tasked with ensuring the kitchen runs smoothly, preparing food and sauces, and assisting head chefs with service. Candidates for this role need to be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often stressful work environment.
What does a lead cook do?
Lead cooks prepare food and assist in managing other back-of-the-house workers. They find employment in a variety of food service establishments, such as restaurants, cafeterias, hotels, and residential care facilities.
What is the difference between a cook and a line cook?
While prep cook is an entry-level position that handles preparatory work to set up other cooks for success, line cooks run a specific station of the kitchen, and may use the prep cook’s ingredients in the creation of their dishes.
What are the ranks of chefs?
Kitchen Hierarchy – The Different Chef Titles Explained
- Executive Chef (aka Group Chef) – …
- Head Chef (aka Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine) - …
- Sous Chef (aka Second Chef) - …
- Chef de Partie (aka Station Chef, Line Chef, Line Cook) - …
- Commis Chef – …
- Kitchen Porter (aka Kitchen Assistant or Kitchenhand) - …
- Dishwasher (aka Escuelerie) -
How would you describe line cook on a resume?
Line Cook responsibilities include:
- Setting up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies.
- Preparing food for service (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces)
- Cooking menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff.
How much does a lead cook make an hour?
Lead Cook Salary
|Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|
How much do lead cooks make?
The salaries of Lead Cooks in the US range from $17,680 to $57,368 , with a median salary of $33,450 . The middle 57% of Lead Cooks makes between $33,450 and $40,718, with the top 86% making $57,368.
Is a line cook a chef?
A chef de partie, station chef, or line cook is a chef in charge of a particular area of production in a restaurant. In large kitchens, each chef de partie might have several cooks or assistants. In most kitchens, however, the chef de partie is the only worker in that department.
What should a line cook know?
Here’s what Cody had to say about being a line cook:
- Be early. This one is pretty straightforward, but still very important. …
- Be focused. We’re talking both mentally and physically. …
- Be clean & organized. No one else will clean after you. …
- Communicate. …
- Practice good time management. …
- Buy a sharp knife. …
- Be patient. …
- Don’t be greedy.
What is a line cook and a prep cook?
Line Cooks are in charge of prepping food and plating dishes according to a restaurant’s menu specifications. Also known as a Prep Cook, they are assigned a specific place in the line, such as the grill or vegetable prep station. Duties include preparing food and maintaining sanitation standards.
Who is the number 1 chef in the world?
1. Gordon Ramsay – World’s No. 1 chef among top 10 chefs in World. Gordon James Ramsay is a British culinary specialist, who was conceived in Scotland, and a restaurateur whose eateries right now hold 9 Michelin Stars (16 Michelin Stars altogether).
Is Gordon Ramsay a five star chef?
Who are the Most-Awarded Michelin-Star Chefs in the World?
- Joël Robuchon, 31 Michelin Stars.
- Alain Ducasse, 21 Michelin Stars.
- Gordon Ramsay, 16 Michelin Stars.
- Martin Berasategui, 8 Michelin Stars.
- Carme Ruscalleda, 7 Michelin Stars.
What is a Level 3 chef?
The Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery (450) qualification is for learners who are over 16 and wish to gain employment in the hospitality sector as a commis chef. A Level 2 qualification in catering is a valuable preparation for this qualification.
What is a first cook job description?
The First Cook uses food production techniques that conserve nutrients, preserve flavor, and enhance appearance. … The First Cook works collaboratively with the Kitchen Manager to develop new recipes, test food products, and implement procedures which assure high quality food is being produced and served.
What does a line cook?
What does a line cook do? A line cook is responsible for food preparation, often in the hospitality industry. They might work in a restaurant, hotel or corporate cafeteria. The “line” of a kitchen is the group of cooks who combine efforts to carry out the recipes and menu items designed by the executive or head chef.
How do you become a line cook?
There are no specific education requirements for a line cook, but many restaurants will require a high school diploma or GED. A lot of learning is OJT (on-the-job training). And a culinary school diploma can be very valuable when looking for a cook job, especially at high-end restaurants.