For the seasoned flour:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
For the Soup:
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or 8-10 boneless thighs or combination of thighs and breast meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine (optional but not really)
- 2-3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 cup of frozen peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup half and half
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups baking mix (I use Bisquick)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2-3 sprigs of parsley, minced (optional but sure attractive!)
- Mix ingredients for seasoned flour and put into a shallow dish or plate, holding aside 1/4 cup of mixture.
- Add butter and olive oil to pot and heat on medium until sizzling.
- Make sure chicken has been patted dry; put into seasoned flour mixture and put pieces into pot; do not crowd. Saute a couple of minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove all pieces and put onto plate. We’re just browning, not thoroughly cooking the chicken.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic to pot and saute lightly for about 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and saute just until they start to wilt.
- Return chicken to pot and add chicken stock, white wine, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, paprika and bay leaves to pot; if necessary, add enough water to cover all ingredients and bring to simmer. Cover and cook on low heat for approximately 60 minutes til meat is tender and/or falling off of bone if using chicken parts.. Remove the chicken from the stock and allow to cool. Once cool, remove skin and bones if necessary and pull meat into bite size pieces and return chicken to pot.
- Taste soup and correct seasonings if necessary.
- Add reserved seasoned flour to half and half and add mixture to soup. Bring to a boil to thicken.
To Make Dumplings:
- Mix baking mix and milk just until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling soup, reduce heat. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, Cover and cook additional 10 minutes.
- Remove dumplings to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Add peas if using to soup stock. Allow soup to cool for approximately 5 minutes and serve in bowls with dumplings.
Source: Creative Culinary
(Visited 26 times, 1 visits today)