- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 red peppers, cored,seeded,and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- Omelette strips
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Stir in the tamarind paste and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoons.
- Of the oil in a large skillet or wok, add the shallots, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, pepper flakes, and turmeric and cook gently, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the rice, and cook gently until lightly browned.
- Return the vegetables to the pan.
- Add the soy sauce and sugar and heat gently to warm through.
- Serve hot, garnished with tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, celery, and omelet strips.
To make omelet strips: Whisk 2 eggs with plenty of salt and pepper.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an omelet pan or small skillet.
Add the eggs to the pan and cook until set.
Leave to cool.
Roll up the omelet and slice across into fine strips.