Since this dish is so simple and uses only a handful of ingredients, its important to use only the best you can find.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 3 gindara (codfish) fillets, skin on
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- For the miso glaze
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (we used Kikkoman)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Season fillets with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a very hot pan, pour in the oil. Slowly transfer fillets into pan. Flip fillets after 2 minutes to cook the other side. Remove from heat when cooked (insert a knife into the center of the fish; it it’s warm, it is cooked just right); set aside.
- Make the sauce: Place all the ingredients in a saucepan, mix, and cook until thick.
- Immediately spoon sauce over fish. Serve with rice.
Cooking tip: Make sure not to overcook your gindara—good crusting happens by first searing the other flesh over high heat then immediately lowering the flame to further cook the inner meat of the fish.