Mahi-Mahi Paksiw Recipe
Mahi-mahi paksiw is a dish wherein fish such as mahi-mahi (which is also known as dolphin fish – don’t worry, this is not our friendly dolphin flipper) is cooked in vinegar with some spices. This is a simple Filipino recipe and it is consumed best with warm rice. Other names of this dish are paksiw na isda or pinangat na isda (not to be confused with Bicol’s version of pinangat because the latter makes use of coconut milk).
This version of paksiw na isda is different from the traditional recipe because the fish was first grilled before cooked in vinegar. I like to do this sometimes because I thought that grilling makes the fish tastes better — there is a smoky component into this dish, which I really liked.
I made use of mahi-mahi fillets to cook this dish. You can do the same or you can also use other fish variety whether fillet or whole, just make sure to clean the fish well and remove the scales before cooking. I find coconut vinegar best for this recipe. However, you can also use whatever type of vinegar is available in your area. White vinegar and apple cider vinegar will work too.
Try this Mahi-mahi Paksiw Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 1 lb. Mahi-mahi fillet
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 2 pieces long green chili
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ to ¾ cup coconut vinegar
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Rub salt all over the mahi-mahi fillet.
- Heat-up the grill then grill each side for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine water, vinegar, whole peppercorn, garlic, and sugar in a cooking pot. Let boil. Adjust the heat to low.
- Put-in the grilled mahi-mahi and long green chili then continue to cook (covered) for 12 to15 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!