- 2 pcs. (approx. 1.5-2 kgs.) mudfish, cleaned
- 1 large piece (approx 1 kg) milkfish, cleaned
- rock salt
- 6-8 pieces tomatoes
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 5 stalks onion leeks, sliced into 2″ lengths
- 1/2 to 1 hand ginger, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 4-5 bird’s eye chili
- shrimp paste, to taste
- 2 liters drinking water
- Season the mudfish and milkfish with salt then grill them over hot charcoal until juices run clear. Grill tomatoes and bell peppers until slightly wilted.
- Remove any charred portions from the fish’, tomato and pepper skins. Slice bell peppers onto bite-size chunks. Cut the fish into smaller portions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash grilled tomatoes with the bird’s eye chilies (if using). Set aside.
- Boil water over high heat. Add in the sliced onions, ginger and bell pepper in a large saucepan and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add in fish slices, let boil then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with the mashed tomato-chili mixture and bagoong or uyap, Add green onions and/or leeks.
- Let boil for about 1-2 minutes more, then check and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with rice.
Source: Kitchen Conjugations
(Visited 78 times, 1 visits today)