Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Servings: 8 – 10
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 2 Carrots, Trimmed & Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 4 Links Italian Turkey Sausage, Meat Removed From Casings
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Diced
- 1 (1 Pound) Bag Green or Beige Lentils
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Thyme (Or 1 Teaspoon Dry)
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Oregano (Or 1 Teaspoon Dry)
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- Lemon Wedges
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil, and add the onions, celery, carrots and sausage meat.
- Cook over medium heat, using two forks to break up the meat, until the vegetables and meat are lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and chicken broth and enough water to cover everything by two inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, and cook until the lentils are almost tender to the bite, about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining seasonings and beans (not the lemon), and cook another 15 minutes over low heat.
- While the soup is cooking prepare the herb pesto by placing all the pesto ingredients except the oil in a food processor and pulsing until chopped.
- Continue to puree, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until you have a thick pesto.
- Taste, and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Just before serving, squeeze the lemon juice into the soup and serve in individual bowls.
- Add a spoonful of the herb pesto to each bowl and serve immediately.
(Visited 54 times, 1 visits today)