Kinamunggayang Manok is a Filipino Chicken Soup recipe that originated from the southernmost part of the Philippines. This dish originally makes use of native chicken, banana blossoms, and malunggay leaves.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 medium banana blossom (puso ng saging), shredded
- 1 1/2 cups malunggay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Soak the banana blossom in brine (combine 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt) for at least 3 hours. Let the sap out by squeezing the banana blossom. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Add-in the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken turns light brown.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and 3 cups water. Let boil. Simmer covered for 30 to 40 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Put-in the shredded banana blossom. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the malunggay leaves. Cook for a minute.
- Pour-in the fish sauce and add the ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with white rice.
- Share and enjoy!