- 840g pork shoulder steaks, cut in 2x9cm strips
- 1 large onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 8 pieces okra, stems trimmed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 40g toasted sesame seeds, ground
- Mix the tonkatsu sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your skewers: Initially each kushikatsu will have two sticks in a sort of ‘H’ shape, and after cooking you’ll cut through the middle to create two. Thread one end of the strips of pork and veg onto the first stick, in the order: pork, onion, pork, okra, pork. Thread the second stick through the other end to create the ‘H’. Repeat to make 8 in total.
- Now prepare three trays for the crust ingredients; one with flour, one with eggs and one with panko crumbs. Season each one.
- Dip the skewer into the flour, coat evenly and pat off the excess. Dip into the egg tray. Then cover with panko.
- Warm a deep frying pan and add half an inch of veg oil.
- Fry the kushikatsu for 2 mins each side until the crust is golden and crispy. Lift with tongs onto a lined baking tray and keep warm in a low oven.
- Take them out of the oven and cut between the skewers, so you have 16 skewers. Dip into the tonkatsu sauce as you eat.
(Visited 46 times, 1 visits today)