- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 4 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5-6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Brown the meat over medium-high heat in olive oil.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, parsnip and spices.
- Cook for 5 minutes before adding beef broth.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for at least 2 hours.
- After about 1½ hours, make mashed potatoes.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Strain potatoes and mash with the butter and milk.
- Mix the melted butter and flour together to make a roux.
- Add the roux, peas and salt & pepper to the stew.
- Raise heat to medium-high and continue to cook for ten more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve the stew over the mashed potatoes.
Source: Simply Whisked
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)