Total Time: 1 Hour
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 pound small, tender okra
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons amchoor (dried mango powder) or 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Cook onion in 2 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring, until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes; transfer to a bowl as cooked and season with salt.
- Trim okra stems without piercing pods (leave a bit of stem on).
- Mix 1/2 tsp. salt and the spices (but not lemon juice, if using) in a bowl. Slit each okra pod lengthwise from just below stem to 1/2 in. from tip. Poke a finger into slit to hold it open and stuff with some spices.
- Add okra and remaining oil to pan. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 5 minutes, tipping pan occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water and lemon juice, if using; quickly cover and simmer until okra is tender-crisp, 5 minutes. Toss gently with onion.
(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)