Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup tamarind puree, see Note
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. Add the ketchup, vinegar, tamarind, molasses, sugar, mustard and cayenne and simmer over low heat, stirring, until reduced to 1 3/4 cups, 5 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and season with salt and black pepper.
- Light a grill. Rub the chicken with oil and season with salt. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until almost cooked, about 7 minutes. Brush with the sauce and grill over low heat, brushing and turning, until glazed, 4 minutes, then serve.
Note: Tamarind puree is made from a sticky, sweet tropical fruit. It is available at Indian and Latin markets.
(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today)