I will show you how to cook beef kaldereta. It is a type of Filipino Beef Stew. This dish is cooked in a tomato-based sauce with vegetables such as potato, carrot, and bell pepper. The addition of liver spread or liver pate makes this dish stand out. It also gives it its own identity.
Holidays and special occasions such as Christmas, New Year’s eve, birthdays, and town fiestas are occasions wherein beef kaldereta is served. Since Christmas is only a few days away, I think it will be helpful to share this easy version so that you can be guided accordingly in cooking this dish. My goal is to provide enough information to you so that you can serve the best Filipino holiday dishes this season.
I started by frying the bell peppers, potato, and carrots. Doing this step will give your veggies a good texture. You may follow my suggestion of pan-frying the veggies beforehand, or you can also just add these uncooked towards the end, if time is of the essence; either ways, the overall dish will still be delicious.
Serve this with simple steamed rice and enjoy with your loved ones.
Now that you know how to cook beef kaldereta, it is time to give it a try. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. beef chuck sliced into cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, sliced into cubes
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons liver spread
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups water
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a pan or wok and then pour 3 tablespoons cooking oil. Stir-fry the bell peppers for 3 minutes. Remove the bell peppers and put in a plate. Set aside.
- Using the oil in the pan (add more if necessary), pan fry the carrots and potato for 3 to 5 minutes. Put these in a plate and then set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a clean pot.
- Sauté the garlic and onion
- Add the beef. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Pour –in tomato sauce and water. Let boil.
- Add the Knorr Beef Cube. Stir. Cover the pot. Continue to cook in low heat for 60 minutes or until the beef gets tender. Add more water if needed.
- Stir-in the liver spread and then add some salt and pepper.
- Put the pan-fried potato and carrots in the pot. Stir. Add the bell peppers.
- Cover the pot. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!