Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 250 g heart of coconut palm
- 5 cooked medium-sized tiger prawns, peeled, deveined
- 50 g cooked pork neck, finely sliced
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- ½ carrot, julienned
- 1 handful mixed mint, Vietnamese mint, basil and perilla leaves
- ½ red chilli, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 60 ml nuoc cham (see Note)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Thinly slice the coconut palm heart lengthways and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the sesame seeds. Mix well, and then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Nuoc cham is a popular Vietnamese dipping sauce. To make your own, combine 1½ tablespoons of fish sauce, 1½ tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 60 ml of water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir well and cook until just before boiling point is reached, then allow to cool. Stir in 1 finely chopped garlic clove, ½ finely chopped bird’s-eye chilli and 1 tablespoon of lime juice and serve.