Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
For the Chicken:
- 3 pounds whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3-inch knob ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 pandan leaves, tied into knots, (optional, see note above)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
For the Rice:
- 2 cups long grain rice, rinsed
For the Bok Choy:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium shallots, peeled, sliced into thin rings (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound baby bok choy, washed, trimmed, halved vertically
- Chili sauce to serve on the side
- Kecap manis to serve on the side (see note above)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves chopped, to serve on the side
- For the Chicken: Place chicken in large stock pot and add rice wine, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, white pepper, ginger, green onions, and pandan leaves (if using). Cover chicken with water (10 to 12 cups).
- Heat over medium-high heat to simmer. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and poach the chicken until just cooked through (155°F) for breasts, (165°F for legs), 35 to 50 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Stir sesame oil and remaining tablespoon soy sauce in a small bowl. When chicken is cool enough to handle, rub sesame sauce onto chicken.
- Strain broth and continue to simmer over medium-low heat until reduced to approximately 9 cups (do not skim fat). Season to taste and let cool 15 minutes to allow the fat to rice to the surface.
- For the Rice: Place 2 cups rice and 3 1/2 cups broth (use as much of the fat as possible from the broth) into rice cooker and cook rice.
- For the bok choy: Heat oil and shallots in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to small bowl.
- Heat 3/4 cup broth to simmer over medium-high heat in 10-inch straight sided skillet with lid. Add bok choy and cover. Cook until just tender but still green, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with shallots.
- Reheat remaining broth and ladle into bowls. Slice chicken meat into bite size portions and arrange on plate, spooning a small amount of broth over the top. Serve with rice, bok choy, sliced cucumber, cilantro, chili sauce, and kecap manis.
(Visited 429 times, 1 visits today)