Heat the grill to high (gas or charcoal); 375-400 degrees F. Brush and oil the grill. Lightly brush one side of the burgers with olive oil, place them on the grill (olive oil side down); brush the top side with olive oil. Cover, cook for 2-3 minutes to sear the bottom (you should see grill marks).
How long do you grill half pound burgers?
IF USING A GRILL: Heat a gas grill to high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the burgers with the oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey. Flip over the burgers.
How long does it take to cook a half pound hamburger?
How do you cook a 4 ounce burger?
|Doneness||First Side Time||Second Side Time|
|Medium-Rare||3 minutes||4 minutes|
|Medium||3 minutes||5 minutes|
|Medium-Well||4 minutes||5 minutes|
|Well Done||4 minutes||6 minutes|
How long should Burgers be on the grill?
In general, follow these total grilling times:
- For rare burgers, cook for 4 minutes total (125°F)
- For medium-rare burgers, cook for 5 minutes total (135°F)
- For medium burgers, cook for 6 to 7 minutes total (145°F)
- For well-done burgers, cook for 8 to 9 minutes total (160 °F)
How do you grill thick burgers?
- Preheat grill to medium-high; brush grates with oil. Advertisement.
- Gently form beef into four 1-inch-thick patties, about 4 inches in diameter. Make an indentation in the top of each patty. …
- Grill burgers 3 minutes. …
- Sandwich burgers in rolls with tomato, onion, and lettuce.
How do you know when to flip a burger on the grill?
Sear the burgers directly over the coals until brown and crispy on the bottom, about four to five minutes. You’ll know to flip the patties when you see liquid pooling on the uncooked surface.
Do you close the grill when cooking burgers?
If you’re grilling quick-cooking foods such as burgers, thin steaks, chops, fish, shrimp, or sliced vegetables directly over the flames, you can leave the grill open. … But when you grill thicker steaks, bone-in chicken, or whole roasts you’ll want the lid down, especially when you’re cooking with indirect heat.
Is it better to cook burgers in the oven or on the stove?
Is it better to cook burgers in the oven or on the stove? It’s up to your personal preference! Baked burgers are a great, nearly hands-off cooking method that won’t fill your kitchen with the smell of frying beef. Pan-fried burgers, on the other hand, have the benefit of a tasty sear from the cast-iron skillet.
What is the secret to juicy hamburgers?
Here are the chef’s tips to turning out the ultimate, show-stopping burger:
- Use 80/20 ground chuck.
- Make a thumbprint in the middle of the patty.
- Season with salt and pepper ONLY.
- Use canola oil, cast iron and high heat.
- Flip once.
- Get the temperature just right.
- Don’t be afraid to mix cheeses.
- Use a squishy bun.
How long should I cook a burger?
Place the burgers on the grill grate and cook, waiting for at least 4 minutes before flipping. Cook until both sides are browned and the burger is cooked to the desired doneness, about 10 minutes total for medium-rare, 8-ounce burgers. Let the burgers rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
How do you keep burgers from shrinking on the grill?
Quick tips to prevent shrinkage when cooking burgers:
- Choose leaner meats with no added water.
- Cook it slow, on a low temperature.
- If you’re cooking burgers on the grill, don’t close the lid. …
- Form the patties wider than you’d like them to be, and create a small dimple in the center by pressing down with your fingers.
How long do you cook burgers on each side?
For medium burgers, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other side for five minutes. When you prefer your burger to be done medium-well, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other for six minutes.
Why put an ice cube on a grilling burger?
The ice cube will prevent the burgers from overcooking and add a bit of extra moisture to the beef — something that’s especially helpful if you’re grilling rather large patties. What you’re gonna do is take a ball of ground beef, gently press a little ice cube in the center, and form the beef around it so it’s sealed.
How do you grill a 1/2 pound burger?
- Divide ground beef into 4 (½-pound) or 6 (1/3-pound) portions. …
- Heat the grill to high (gas or charcoal); 375-400 degrees F. Brush and oil the grill. …
- Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes for rare, 4-5 for medium-rare or 6-7 for medium doneness as measured with an Instant Read thermometer.
What’s the best way to cook a hamburger?
Cook your burgers in a flat pan over medium-high heat. The patties should sizzle when they hit the pan, and when you flip them, you should see a nicely dark, golden-brown sear on the underside. That’s the sign of a good burger!
Do you grill burgers on high heat?
Heat an outdoor grill to high heat (about 450°F), or until you can hold your hand an inch over the grates for only one second. On a charcoal grill, arrange the coals to create a high heat and a low heat cooking zone (direct and indirect grilling). Meanwhile, prepare the burger patties.