For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 8 slices Provolone or Swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1 cup (140 g) gum-free gluten free flour blend (92 g superfine white rice flour + 31 g potato starch + 17 g tapioca starch/flour)
- Egg wash (2 eggs + 2 tablespoons milk, beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free Panko-style bread crumbs
- Cooking oil spray
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons (27 g) gum-free gluten free flour blend (18 g superfine white rice flour + 6 g potato starch + 3 g tapioca starch/flour) (or try an equal amount of superfine sweet white rice flour)
- 1/2 cup (4 fluid ounces) chicken stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cups (8 fluid ounces) milk (any kind, just not nonfat)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- Prepare the chicken bundles. Lay out the chicken breasts on a flat surface. Place one slice of cheese on top of each breast, followed by two slices of ham, and finally one slice of cheese. Beginning at a short end of each chicken breast, roll tightly to the other end. Secure each end with a toothpick straight through from the top to the bottom. Set up a coating station of three shallow bowls: one with the floor blend, one with the egg wash, and one with the bread crumbs. Dredge each chicken bundle in the flour, then the egg wash on all sides, allowing any excess to drip off, and finally in the bread crumbs on all sides, pressing the crumbs gently onto the chicken to secure them. Place the bundles, seam side down, about an inch apart from one another on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the bundles with cooking oil spray.
- Bake the chicken. Cover the baking sheet loosely with foil, place it in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue to bake until the chicken reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer and the bread crumb coating is lightly golden brown (about another 5 minutes).
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the sauce. In a medium-size, heavy bottom saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour blend and whisk until well-combined. Cook for 1 minute, or until the flour starts to become fragrant. Add the chicken stock and the thyme, and whisk until well-combined. Allow to cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture thickens (about 3 minutes). Add the milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard, and whisk until well-combined. Continue to cook, whisking frequently, until thickened (about another minute). Remove the sauce from the heat, and remove the mostly bare thyme sprigs (leaving behind the leaves). Add the grated cheese, and whisk to combine. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the toothpicks from each bundle, slice by cross-section and serve drizzled with the sauce.
Source: Gluten Free On A Shoestring
(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)