- One kilo Tanigue chopped diagonally
- 1 knob ginger
- 5 pcs. garlic cloves
- 1 white onion
- 3-5 pieces red chili
- 3 pcs. chili fingers
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 stalks native chili leaves
- fresh banana leaves
- 2 cups coconut cream squeezed from 2 pcs. coconut
- salt and pepper
- fish sauce
- the banana leaf adds aroma and flavor.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on each fish.
- Wrap each fish in banana leaf.
- Pour equal amount of water and vinegar. Place tied lemongrass, ginger, onion, garlic in the bottom and make a paksiw/vinegar stew.
- Pour in coconut cream and lower the heat.
- Add the chilies, native chili leaves and fish sauce to taste.
- serve with hot rice.
The Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins C, E and many B vitamins are abundant in coconut milk. Vitamins C and E help to boost the immune system, and B vitamins are responsible for providing energy to the cells. Coconut milk is also rich in magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and iron. Magnesium is responsible for many biochemical functions in the body, including regulating the heart’s rhythm and supporting the function of nerve cells. Potassium maintains the tissues of the heart, kidneys, brain and muscles. Phosphorus keeps teeth and bones strong, and iron creates red blood cells and carries oxygen throughout your body. Add coconut milk to your cereal and baked goods, or drink a glass or two each day to receive these benefits.
“Ceylon Medical Journal” notes that coconut milk is rich in antioxidants, which prevents free radical damage. Free radicals are associated with the development of many diseases, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease and age-related dementia. Antioxidants can help reverse previous damage and delay the aging process. Drink a glass of coconut milk while eating other antioxidant-rich foods, such as pecans, raisins and cranberries. Energy-producing snacks that are rich in antioxidants will boost your immunity while rebuilding the damaged cells in your body.