Bicolanos tend to use coconut milk to any dish because of the abundance of coconut in the region. One of the famous ginataan (a dish with coconut milk) from Bicol is the ginataang santol. The meat of the santol fruit is cooked in coconut milk. No one imagined that the extremely sour fruit would be a very delicious viand. Other famous ginataan recipes from Bicol are the ginataang puso ng saging (banana blossom cooked in coconut milk) and the sigarilyas sa gata (Winged Beans cooked in coconut milk).
- 400 g. Santol, peeled, seeded and chopped finely
- 1/4 kgms Cube slice Pork
- 1 tbsp. Coking Oil
- 2 tbsp. Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Onions
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Alamang
- 2 Pieces Shrimp Broth Cube
- 1 1/2 Pure Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream (optional )
- 3 Pieces Chili
- Soak chopped santol in salted water for at least 30 minutes; drain and squeeze dry.
- Heat oil and saute garlic and onion until limp.
- Stir in Alamang, Pork and shrimp broth cubes. Cook for 3 minutes until pork and alamang changes color.
- Add santol and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until almost dry.
- Pour coconut cream and chill; continue cooking until santol is soft.