- 250 Grams unriped jackfruit
- 3 Pieces crabs
- 1/2 Stalk lemon grass
- 2 Cups coconut milk
- 1 Medium size onion
- 1/4 Cup shrimp paste
- 2 Pieces long green chilli
- 1 Tumbsize turmeric
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put coconut milk, garlic, onion, turmeric and lemon grass in a saucepan.
- Keep stirring to avoid the milk from curdling , bring to boil.
- Add crabs, jackfruit and shrimp paste, simmer until crabs evenly change color.
- Add long green chilli, season with salt and pepper, simmer for another few minutes.
- Use fresh clean crabs, cook them shell faced down. The juices inside the shell added a taste in the cooking.
- When bringing the coconut to boil, keep stirring to avoid the milk from curdling (makulta o magbuo-buo).
- The crab has it’s own saltiness, taste it first before adding any seasoning .
- For spicier taste, use bird’s eye chilli (siling labuyo).
Health Benefits of Jackfruit
Jackfruit serves as an excellent protective agent against viral and bacterial infections due to the presence of Vitamin C in it. In addition, this fruit is known to strengthen the immune system by improving the condition of white blood cells.
Enriched with phytonutrients, like lignans, isoflavones and saponins that contain anti-cancer and anti-ageing properties, jackfruits are beneficial in eliminating cancer-causing free radicals in the body and inhibiting the degeneration of cells.
Owing to its anti-ulcer agents, jackfruits are known to digestive disorders.
These fruits are a great source of fiber. This property helps in avoiding constipation and smoothening bowel movements. Besides, jackfruits protect against the colon mucus membrane by eradicating carcinogenic chemicals from the large intestine.
Being an excellent source of vitamin A, jackfruits monitor the health of the skin and eyes, specifically by keeping vision-related problems, like macular degeneration and night blindness, at bay.
With simple sugars such as fructose and sucrose present in jackfruit, it is useful in boosting energy levels, without adding fat or cholesterol to the body.
Magnesium, found in large amounts in jackfruit, absorb calcium in the body and contribute to strengthening of bones and prevention of bone related disorders like osteoporosis.
Jackfruits play a significant role in thyroid metabolism due to the presence of copper in their flesh, thereby promoting hormone production and absorption.
The potassium content in jackfruit is useful in lowering blood pressure thus, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Similar to other fruits and vegetables, jackfruit is also heart-friendly; thanks to the Vitamin B6 that reduces the levels of homocystein in the blood.
Jackfruit fulfills the iron needs in the body, thereby promoting proper blood circulation and preventing cases of anemia.
With anti-ageing properties, jackfruits are known to inhibit the degeneration of cells, thereby giving the consumer a younger, suppler and more glowing skin.
Due to the fact that it has low calories, jackfruits also help in maintaining the body by preventing the deposition of fat and elimination of obesity.
The roots of jackfruit are extremely beneficial for people suffering from asthma. A concoction prepared by boiling its roots is a good remedy for wheezing and other respiratory problems.
The extract of jackfruit is known to treat various skin problems, diarrhea and fever.